At DSS we have a graduate of the Gemologist Institute of America Diamonds Diploma Program available to assess, appraise, and authenticate jewelry. Our Gemologist is educated on the technical expertise needed to grade, buy, and sell diamonds.
We have both technical expertise and practical skills to evaluate diamonds by the 4Cs (color, clarity, cut, and carat weight), the International Diamond Grading System™.
The International Diamond Grading System or the 4C’s:
Carat: This is the size and weight of the diamond.
Color: Measures the color of the diamond. It is measured on a letter scale; D thru N in alphabetical order D is the best, N is the worst
- D-I Completely White from top of the stone
- J-M slightly yellow from top of Stone
- N Obviously yellow from top of stone
Clarity: Measures the clarity of the stone (number of imperfections) VVS, VS, SI1, SI2, SI3, I1, I2
- VVS, VS Not/barely visible with a 10x loupe
- SI1, SI2, SI3 Clean to the Naked Eye
- I1, I2 Visible to the Naked eye
Cut: This is the shape that the diamond is cut in. Possibilities include;
- Brilliant Round
- Old European